Friday, January 25, 2008

There ARE blondes in Brazil

13:00
And so the story continues,
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WAS WRITEN TO ENTERTAIN ME, NOT YOU, I DO NOT SUGGEST READING THIS ENTRY ITS BORING. JUMP TO ***

Sal was replaced at the standby desk by Elizabete. She was not very friendly. Didnt smile at all. She was the messanger of bad news. The two other direct flights to Salvador were full and there is no chance im getting a spot on either of them. I will now be taking a flight that departs here at 17:25 and stops in Rio and Campo Grande and will HOPEFULLY be arriving in Bahia at 12:55am. grrrrrreeeaaaat (to be read in a very slow, low tone to imply pain of some sort). At to top all of that off, i get to kick it with my bags until then. I am at least glad that i am not having money issues as i have come prepared with over $1,300 in dollars and reais (pronounced hey-EYES) strapped to my abdomen under my hardtails. i then called angela and told her the bad news. she was very nice and said shed come to pick me up --"UMA DA MANHANA?? TA. A GENTE VAI A RECOGER" Said in her normal tone that sometimes sounds like yelling, "One in the morning? ok. We'll be there to get you." I said they didnt have to becuase it was so late but she said noo, noo which made me feel better becuase ireally dont want to take a (potnetially shady) taxi at one in the morning into the city (which is almost an hour drive). My next task was going pee. Normally this wouldnt be a task as a mere item to be done but with my 150lbs of baggage, i wasnt sure how i was going to get into a little stall and not get all my things robbed. Luckily there was a private stall for handicapped. Normally i try and avoid using the handicapped stall and leave it for the old ladies, but i decided, in this situation, i was an eligible candidate for the handicapped. Mission accomplised. Now, i thought, i have 4 hours to kill until i am to report back. I guess ill eat. And here i am. At a quaint place called BAR--OnTheRocks. I was hungry but unsure of what to eat that wouldnt make me feel sick so i got my Coca Lite (Ligh-chee) and a veggitable soup that was superb accompanied by a full bowl of sliced baugette. I am on my laptop now planning to USB this entry to the internet later and i must say, my laptop is quite comforting. Like a friend, almost. Since this restaurant isnt busy, i think im just going to take my sweet time at my table. I mean, isnt that what airport Bar/Restaurants are for anyway? People to kill time between flights? I think my short time at fish co made me very anxious about sitting at a table for longer than my designated hour to order and eat since all the waiters were like pimps husstling their seating seaction to get in and out while tipping big ...oh wait...what was that?? the waiter just took my bowl, plate of olive oil and almost full basket of bread. is he trying to hussle me??? shit. what to do. well i still have my coca lite...he cant kick me out yet. maybe i should put this friend of mine away.


this is the airport, imagine me inside that mess

***BEGIN READING HERE
ways to pass the time:
-pay by the hour at the internet cafe to check my gmail and fb.....eh not that great but a safe place to sit with my luggage
-spend way more money shopping to buy stuff i dont need and dont have space for
-keep sitting here...
-go somewhere less safe to type more or read or listen to music
-people watching...conclusion: There ARE blondes in brazil, just not in Bahia

17:15
(5 hours later)
The expected flight I was going to have was full.
My name is on another waitlist.
I feel like tom hanks in lost. Kinda going crazy, repeating thoughts inside my own head.
I think im starting to smell.
Developed new skill: sleeping in a busy, bustling airport with 4 bags of luggage inside the embrace of my 4 limbs.
Enjoying the book ellen lent me, The House of the Spirits
Talking to effy and sam on aim. Effy says this is an exciting beginning to my trip….i like her optimism.

My reoccurring thought is, will i ever get to Bahia???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude you crack me up! that sounds like such a mess but at least u have long limbs so u can sprawl them across all ur bags as you sleep. i especially like the part about how you came prepare with a bunch of re-hee-es or whatever strapped to your abdomen! lol! i can just see it. i miss you. im sitting in my room at the connecticut culinary institute of all places and it's snowing : ) apparently there are blondes in ct too.

A Linstatter said...

Hi Marie--it's Mom. I loved your long entry about siting around the Sao Paolo airport trying to get a plane to Salvador-Bahia after you found it was impossible to make the connection Flight Centre gave you (only 1 1/2 hrs. between flights).
Such vivid reports: your laptop suddenly becoming a friend (in absence of anything else familiar)--at least you can talk to it or into it. Eventually it talks back...
I also laughed at your description of waiters as pimps trying to push as many customers through the tables as possible, and your awareness of this as a result of working at Enterprise Fish Co. So funny when later a waiter steals your food as a hint...
Great beginning to your tales of Brazil and Argentina in 2008.
Love,
Mom

A Linstatter said...

Hiii! It's your mother, overeager to devour each word as you write it.
Great to talk with you today... amazing that your family took you out on the town immediately after your 36 hours of travel...
Hard to imagine how hot and humid it is there (our July, but at a latitude of 13 degrees S. instead of 34 degrees N.).
Love, Mom

Love, Mom

Vic Adolfi said...

I'm brazilian and i must say what you suposedly wrote in portuguese is actual some bizarre kind of portunol (portuguese and spanish mix). I could barely understand. If you wanna rewrite then in portuguese rather than portunol i advise you to write in english and then google translate them lol

Vic Adolfi said...

I'm brazilian and i must say what you suposedly wrote in portuguese is actual some bizarre kind of portunol (portuguese and spanish mix). I could barely understand. If you wanna rewrite then in portuguese rather than portunol i advise you to write in english and then google translate them lol