Friday, January 25, 2008

Katherin at the Flight Center, we need to talk

11:59am
Guarulhos--Sao Paulo International Airpot
So there´s good news and theres bad news. which would you like first? the good news? i got through customs with an undeclared digital camera, still in the box, a $300 viedo game card, and other assorted gifts for 17 people with no problem. the bad news, the line for cutoms was horrendous (shit this computer doesnt have check as you go spell check, so now my true colors are going to shine through) and i arrived at the NEXT long line at the TAM ticket/check in counter at 10:30am (sao paulo time, 4:30am my time)--my flight to Bahia was departing at 10:35am. Shit. so i missed my connecting flight. what to do now? wait, hasnt this happened to me before in this same airport? yes, i think it did. oh right, it was when i was flying out of bahia to sao paulo on my way out of brazil. maybe i should inform my pal Catherin who books all my flights with me at the Flight Center on Whilshire and 11th that this deal isnt working for me. That i need more than one hour between arriving and departing at the Sao Paulo airport.
So, what to do from here? Well i was directed (thankfully this time around i speak portuguese) from one long line (that was at least moving) to a shorted line (that hardly moved for the first 15 minutes i was in it. Keep in mind this airport doesnt believe in aircondition and its about 80* F. taking into account the 150 lbs (thats a guesstamet--70lb bag plus 30 lb bag plus 30 lb carryon plus 20 shoulder bag) of weight i am carrying/pushing and the elevated heart rate from power walking accross tha airport and my nerves that i was missing my connection and well, i was hot. still am, come to think of it. im going to have to cut the details since the clock is a ticking--met a guy in line who is a professional referee for the brazilian basketball leauge. he was very polite and nice and hinted that he wanted my msn/hotmail to chat but i mislead him by implying that i dont have one. so when i fianally got to the front of that line with hopes to get a new ticket for the nest flight to bahia, they immediately told me the next two flights were full and i needed to go looking for Sal who was incharge of standbyes. Found sal outside by the drop off curbd and added my name at the sixth person to the waiting list for the next (full) flight to Salvador, bahia. it was 11 now. she told me to come back at 12:25. next move was to use my old calling card that i still had to call angela/lidia and tell them not to come pick me up at 12 noon. after about 6 failed attempts i got through and hurridly spoke with angela before my points on my calling card were all up. next i bought an international/national calling card and unsuccessfully called home (knowing it was before 6am there--oh well, the parents dont mind being woken up, right?) and well shit, its 12:15 now and i need to go meet sal to beg my way onto the next flighjt to bahia. story time will have to be continued at a later time. beijos, m

2 comments:

A Linstatter said...

Yikes! What a horror story, standing in long lines that don't move, calling to Angela and Lidia in Bahia that you won't be on the flight they are trying to meet, running out of minutes, calling again and no answer... Planning to call Flight Centre and tell them you need more time to go through customs before boarding another flight within Brazil...
Well, as you say, at least this time you speak Portuguese! Which is amazing, after you spent only 5 weeks there this past summer.
You are logging great experience in how to do international travel.
Love, Mom

Flavia said...

I love Anne!! She is so cute!!! Suerte Marie, ahora entiendo el viaje en Brazil.
Te estamos esperando aca en Argentina tambien.
Un besito,
F
ps: quiero que me enseñes portugues!!